Our resident Kooky Cook and recipe maestro, Marni Xuto, is in the house with an Egg-cellent recipe that is sure to tantalise our tastebuds and awaken our senses 🤤
Her modern take on the classic Scotch egg is indulgent and more-ish, combining earthy spices, luscious legumes, subtle fruity flavours and a decadent runny yolk. Heaven!
Perfect as an hors d'oeuvre, brunch or even breakfast. Enjoy! 🤩
🥚 Mini Scotch Egg in Dragon Fruit sauce 🥚
Prep time : 25 min
Cooking time: 5-6 min
Serve : 1 starter portion
Ingredients for Scotch egg:
2 Cooked quail egg (de-shelled)
100g Cooked chickpea
100g Frozen peas
20g Panko breadcrumbs
1 tbsp Plain Flour
2 tsp Tahini
1/2 tsp Cumin powder
1 pinch Salt and pepper
400ml Vegetable oil to fry
Ingredients for Dragon Fruit sauce:
20g Kooky dried dragon fruit (soak till soft)
60g. Onion (sliced)
1 clove Garlic (peeled)
1tbsp Vegetable oil
1tsp Cider vinegar
1/4 tsp Yeast extract
1/8 tsp Salt
1. Gently fry onion, garlic and vegetable oil in a small sauce pan until onions turn translucent
2. Add the softened dragon fruit slices, water, yeast extract, cider vinegar and salt. Bring to a boil.
3. Transfer to electric blender and blend until smooth. Set sauce aside.
4. Boil peas and chickpeas until cooked. Drain and transfer them into electric blender.
5. Add the plain flour, tahini, cumin powder, salt and pepper, then blend to your preferred texture. Add a tiny bit of water if required.
6. Separate into 2 portions. Lay and flatten the first portion in your palm, place a quail egg in the middle and gently fold and form a ball. Repeat the method with another quail egg.
7. Roll the pea Scotch egg in Panko breadcrumbs, making sure the crumbs coat it well.
8. Heat oil in a small saucepan. Deep fry until the mini pea Scotch egg turns golden brown. Approx 3-4 min.
9. Serve these lovely mini Scotch eggs with the fresh delightful dragon fruit sauce. Yum!
Tip: To achieve the runny yolk consistency as per the photos, boil the quail eggs for approx 2 min and 20s, then rinse with cold water and peel carefully 🙌🏻